So I’ve had my X550JX now for nearly three years now and it’s being a trusty companion, but there has been a few issues. Before I start rambling on about the pros and cons let me give a little description of my machine.
- ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7 4720HQ Processor,
Intel® Core™ i5 4200H Processor,
- Operating SystemWindows 10 Home
Windows 10 Pro
- MemoryDDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
- Display15.6″ Auto HD (1366×768)/Full HD (1920×1080)
- GraphicNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M
- Storage– 500GB HDD 5400
– 750GB HDD 5400
– 1TB HDD 5400
– 500GB HDD 7200
– 1TB HDD 7200
- Optical DriveSuper-Multi DVD *1
- Card Reader3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ SDXC)
- CameraVGA Web Camera
- NetworkingIntegrated 802.11 b/g/n
Built-in Bluetooth™ V4.0
10/100/1000 Base T
- Interface1 x COMBO audio jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
2 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI, Support HDMI
- AudioASUS SonicMaster Technology
- Battery4Cells 44 mAh
- Power AdapterPlug Type :ø5.5 (mm)
19 V DC, 3.42 A, 120 W
110 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
38.0 x 25.1 x 2.92 ~3.17 cm (WxDxH)
- Weight2.45 kg
- SecurityKensington lock
BIOS Booting User Password Protection
Now let’s talk about some of the issues I’ve had with it.
So if you have read my older blog posts, you would know I had a very weird hibernation issue where my laptop would shutdown rather than sleep/hibernate. This was resolved with a BIOS downgrade, but it was a pain in the ass regardless.
WIFI Card not supported on Linux:
So this one was a real pain as the factory PCI-E WIFI card did not support Linux, so I had to purchase an Intel card to resolve this issue.
In the end I am very happy with this laptop, but I think my next laptop will be a ASUS Zenbook or a Thinkpad.